Entrepreneurs are notorious hard chargers and sometimes that noble characteristic takes a toll on mental and physical health, which in turn can impact your productivity, creativity, and overall happiness. The solitary existence and the intense pressure of leading and launching a startup create a sort of pressure cooker for founders. And the reality is sometimes being an entrepreneur is a lonely and challenging path.
Here are a few things to consider when the pressure starts to take a toll:
- Breathe. This is that simple thing sometimes we all forget. But taking a moment to step away from what you’re doing, getting out of your environment and taking a second to let the pressure ease is invaluable for founders and all entrepreneurs. Just breathe – very important for everything you do.
- Read. Take a few moments each day to read something unrelated to what you’re doing. Not a business book. Not a textbook. Read history. Read liberal arts. Expand your world. This gives your mind a break from spreadsheets and operations and, well, all great leaders read.
- Get physical. Go for a run. Go lift weights. Walk. Take a break from the grind. Feed the birds or the squirrels or whatever makes you feel happy.
- Hang. Be with friends outside of your work. Call your parents. Connect with people who are not in your startup.
- Have fun. There is nothing in the history of business that says you can’t have fun. Nothing. So get inspired by the possibilities of what you are doing.
- Create. Make something everyday. A sentence. A painting. A new kind of coffee. A meal. A joke. Make something every day.
- And when in doubt and nothing is working, find a mentor, a supporter, a friend to help you get through the challenging landscape of startups and entrepreneurship.
Your journey as an entrepreneur is not an easy one, but it is a rewarding one. Make sure you take care of yourself along the way.
Creative Business Cup Global Finals will take explore the topic of wellbeing and its linkage to creativity and entrepreneurship… Join us! www.cbnet.com/tickets/